- Course Catalog
- 6-12 Curriculum Pathway
- K-12 Curriculum Pathway
- High School Pathways
- Middle School Courses
- All Courses
- Hour of Code
- Classroom Management
- Progress Tracking
- Lesson Plans
- Offline Handouts
- Problem Guides
- Problem Bank
- Playlist Bank
- Quiz Scores
- Professional Development
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- State Standards
CodeHS South Carolina Computer Science Education Guide
In the 21st century, coding is a foundational skill, just like reading and writing. Everyone should get the chance to learn how to code—it's a skill that provides limitless creative opportunities to students and future generations.
With great curriculum, resources, and support, school districts across the country can implement high-quality computer science programs. At CodeHS, our goal is to make computer science education fun and accessible to all!
Did You Know
- South Carolina Requires Computer Science
- South Carolina Has K-12 Computer Science Standards
- CodeHS Curriculum is Free
- CodeHS Courses are Aligned to South Carolina Computer Science Standards
South Carolina K-12 Computer Science Policies
The South Carolina Department of Education has mandated computer science since 1997. But many students fulfilled the high school graduation requirement by taking a half-credit course in keyboarding.
Times are changing! Based on proposed amendments State Board of Education Regulation 43-234, Keyboarding was eliminated as an option for fulfilling the one-half of the Computer Science requirement beginning with the 2018–19 school year.
By May 2017, The K-8 South Carolina Computer Science and Digital Literacy Standards for K-8 were approved to expand availability of computer science education to all students in South Carolina. Shortly after, in August 2018, South Carolina developed computer science standards for high school in response to growing employment opportunities in computer science around the state.
Source: South Carolina Department of EducationLearn More
Approved South Carolina Computer Science Courses
Check out the South Carolina course code directory (CCD) to view the full list of approved computer science courses for grades 6-12.
- 4771 – AP Computer Science A
- 4775 – AP Computer Science Principles
- 6907 – Computer Science Discoveries
- 5050 – Computer Programming 1
- 5051 – Computer Programming 2
- 5370 – Cyber Security Fundamentals
- 5031 – Fundamentals of Web Page Design and Development
- 5310 – Networking Fundamentals
South Carolina Computer Science Standards Alignment
CodeHS is aligned to South Carolina's Academic Standards for middle school computer science, as well as the high school Computer Programming pathway.
Additional CodeHS Standards Alignments
CodeHS courses also align with the following standards:
CodeHS South Carolina 6-12 Computer Science Curriculum Pathway
This table shows our recommended 6-12 curriculum pathway which provides a robust, coherent computer science pathway that teaches students 5 programming languages over the course of middle school and high school.
Here you can see an overview of the courses in the CodeHS curriculum pathway.
|World of Computing|
|Introduction to the Internet|
|South Carolina Fundamentals of Computing|
|South Carolina Cybersecurity Fundamentals|
|AP Computer Science Principles|
|South Carolina Computer Programming I|
|AP Computer Science A (Nitro)|
|South Carolina Computer Programming II|
Try the South Carolina Standards Aligned Courses
South Carolina Computer Science Stats
- 1,423 students in South Carolina took AP Computer Science exams in 2019 (373 AP CSA, 1050 AP CSP); only 32% of exams were taken by females, an increase of 7% from the previous year
- South Carolina currently has 3,375 open computing jobs (2.8 times the average demand rate in South Carolina).
- Computer programmers and software developers in South Carolina have an average annual salary of $77,383, which is significantly higher than the overall average state salary at $43,210